Website Main content
Website Secondary navigation Development and planning

Buying or selling

When buying or selling a property, you should seek legal advice from a solicitor or conveyancer who will provide you with detailed information to protect your interests.

There are also a number of different types of certificates required and/or recommended that provide prospective purchasers with information such as development restrictions, building approvals, outstanding rates payable, and whether you can build on a particular block of land.

If you are a prospective purchaser, you can also make some initial enquiries about the property you're interested in by accessing our ePlanning tools. Information such as zoning, height of building restrictions, applicable Development Control Plans (DCPs) and the types of development that can be undertaken on a property, is available by using these tools.   

This information is provided as a guide only and you should always seek legal advice and consult your real estate agent regarding your specific requirements.

Section 149 planning certificate

Under Section 149 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, Council can issue a certificate providing information about planning controls and development standards relating to a property. You can apply to Council for a Section 149(2) or (5) Certificate according to your individual circumstances.

Building certificate

A Building Certificate is issued under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979. The certificate prevents Council for a period of seven years from making an Order.You can apply to Council for a Building Certificate. This page explains the process of how to apply for a Building Certificate.

Section 603 (rates) certificate

A Section 603 (rates) Certificate is commonly needed when you are selling a property. The certificate states the amount (if any) of any outstanding rates, charges and debts payable to Council in relation to a property. You can apply for a Section 603 Certificate from Council.

Section 735A outstanding notices

A Section 735A and 121ZP Outstanding Notices Certificate lists any outstanding Notices and Orders issued by Council in relation to a particular property. The certificate refers to Notices and Orders issued only under the Local Government Act 1993 and the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.

Building records search

If you are buying a property, a building records search can provide a helpful summary of the building and development approvals that Council holds for that property. You can apply for a building records search from Council.

Dwelling entitlement search

When buying a property, especially a vacant site, a very important question to consider is 'can I build a dwelling house on the land?' A dwelling entitlement refers to the potential for Council to approve a dwelling on a certain property. You can apply for a dwelling entitlement search from Council.